How Green Is Your Closet? musings on Fashion's environmental footprint...

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Lost gloves - what to do?

I hope it is 10AM somewhere since I missed my self-imposed post time today! Oh well here we go.

It is winter in my neck of the woods and that means lost gloves and found gloves. Artist Miyako Kanamori serves up the perfect solution to recycle the singles. Instead of Sock friends how about Happy Gloves Charming Softy Friends Made from Coloful Gloves! 

Using simple cuts and stitching and a lot of the Japanese concept of kawaii, Kanamori fashions an entire neighborhood of friends and accessories out of one or 2 knit gloves. 

I just got this book yesterday and kismet had me find a sad glove this morning. I hope to turn that sad glove into a happy glove this week. Riffing on Kanamori's concept and adding my darker twist, I think my first Happy Glove friend will be a punk or gothic rat - my sad glove is covered with skulls;) 

What a great way to reuse those solo gloves. Thumbs up (pun intended) to Kanamori. Keep your eyes out for lost gloves and turn them quickly into found friends.

--till next week Restore, Recycle, Refresh & Renew

No comments: