How Green Is Your Closet? musings on Fashion's environmental footprint...

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Closet clean out

New year, new you! Rcently, I have started to clean my closet out in January. It is an odd time I know. Most people clean out in the spring and fall when they change over. I do that too, but more recently I have gotten into the habit of cleaning out in January and donating clothes in honor of MLK day. It all started several years ago with my on air clothes swap through Nexus Radiio.

This year I was able to clean out and consign to a new gem in Northern Liberties, Once Worn. This consignment shop rocks! The Demographic is ripe for my cast offs and i have found some great finds there too. I have a smashing pair of Michael Kors knee high lace up black suede boots that I scored for $60. Truly from "These Boots Are Made for Waliking." I get paid monthly, on time and so I am converting some of my best stuff to cash, helping local business and recycling! Win, win, win.

I was also able to donate career clothes to my favorite local charity, the Career Wardrobe. They. Have a clothing drive every 3rd Wednesday of the month and since they have also started a retail reuse shop, this donation has gotten much easier. I get a tax break, help women in need who are returning to the work force and recycle! Win, win, win.

Today I got news of a Local women's clothing giveaway to benefit Darfour. This could be my next win, win win if only I can find some more items to get out of my closet;)

-- till next week Restore, Recycle, Refresh & Renew

No comments: