How Green Is Your Closet? musings on Fashion's environmental footprint...

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Broken Brolly Follies

I've always considered the start of school the start of a new year so I like to have a good closet clean out at the end of the summer. This year I've found a plethora of broke brollys (umbrellas luv). I've been thinking about how to reuse them and I have had a pretty interesting idea which I had hoped to get to for my Etsy shop this summer, but alas it wasn't meant to be. I'm not going to tell you what it is so you will have to stay tuned;)

Featured in Springwise Newsletter on May 12, 2010, I did find an excellent umbrella re-use project and it is even local to me! Recycling Zychal is a Philadelphia based company that gives broken brollys new life as doggie rain or bad weather coats, kitty catnip toys or human hoods. According to her site, Taryn Zychal hand makes each item and donates $1 to the Morris Animal Refuge for each broken brolly she receives as a donation to her company. 

Environmentally friendly and animal responsible what more could you ask from the brolly that gave her life for you to save that Burberry trench;)

--till next week Restore, Recycle Refresh & Renew

No comments: