How Green Is Your Closet? musings on Fashion's environmental footprint...

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Bodkin Brooklyn

According to dictionary.com:

"bod⋅kin

–noun
1. a small, pointed instrument for making holes in cloth, leather, etc.
2. a long pinshaped instrument used by women to fasten up the hair.
3. a blunt, needlelike instrument for drawing tape, cord, etc., through a loop, hem, or the like.
4. Obsolete. a small dagger; stiletto.

Origin:
1350–1400; ME badeken, bo(i)dekyn, of uncert. orig."

According to Bodkin Brooklyn:

"Bodkin is a collection designed in accordance with principles of sustainability in materials and production methods. Manufactured in New York City using organic cotton and organic wool and artisanal vegetable dyes along with innovative fibers such as recycled-PET nylon, cellulosic fibers, and kapok, Bodkin consists of understatedly classic yet forward-thinking pieces that reconcile style with utility and transparency, supporting and encouraging both traditional craft and environmentally beneficial technologies of the future. Bodkin was named the inaugural recipient of the Ecco Domani Sustainable Design Award in 2009."

I'm not quite sure about the connection between bodkin and sustainable fashion, but this collection is chic, wearable, sustainable and classic. Designer Eviana Hartman has hit all the right notes. I'm particularly partial to the plastic dress made from 100% recycled PET utility mesh in the Spring 2009 Collection.These garments are not your mother's earthshoes;) Available is fine stores and online in the UK.

--till next week Restore, Recycle, Refresh & Renew


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sustainability is a topic I that I have been interested in since I first began to truly understand what was happening as a result of our current behaviors and something I am still continuously learning about, especially in terms of fashion product development. Before reading this post, I had never heard of Bodkin. However, when I looked further into the collection and how it was made, I was extremely drawn to the pieces I found on the website. I particularly liked the collection because it was wearable. This is one aspect I find to be troublesome in green fashion. Not in that what is out there is not wearable but it is the stereotype that green fashion gets that makes it less appealing to consumers. When most people think of sustainability and going green, I believe they most often think nature and expect the pieces to be less stylish, have a lack of color, and a course texture. Which doesn’t make people want to run out and immediately change their wardrobe. However, these pieces remind me of the clothing I see people, including myself, wearing everyday, and if I saw, from a far, a Bodkin piece next to a similar piece from a different unsustainable collection I don’t think I would be able to tell the difference. I feel having sustainable collections that resemble the clothing people are already wearing is important is breaking this stereotype and branching people out to buying environmentally conscious clothing.

Bridget said...

Improving the environment is a major issue on everyones mind and we must look upon ourselves for the answer. But a step in the right direction would be to start creating environmentally safe clothing in order to promote the well being of the environment and to be able to get use out of the expensive items we buy every day. For instance if the plastic dress spoke about in the blog was popular we wouldn't have to make so many umbrellas because our outfits would repel water causing it to drip on the floor. Overall a healthy home is a happy home so why not clean up our own mess and make masterpieces while were at it

AnneBolyn812 said...

Really interesting thought about the plastic dress and not needing umbrellas. I like that thinking!

Ali said...

It's nice to see a green line that is so fashionable. When I think of a "green" or "eco-friendly" line a different look pops into my head. I think of clothing that is more relaxed in nature, looser, and more baggy. I think of something a little bit more "crunchy", more like these hemp sandals offered here : http://thevegetariansite.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=EcoDragon+Monaco+%28women%27s%29
It's exciting that the trend in all areas of fashion is towards sustainability, rather than just for a specific group of earth-loving people. Bodkin shows us that "green" does not have to mean ugly or anti-style, but rather that being green is sleek and refined and a necessary part living and moving towards the future.